Re: Unique architectural collection

At the suggestions of archival colleagues, we are exploring potential archival
interest in the architectural papers and designs of my father Walter H. Sobel,
FAIA and Associates. He's been an architect in Chicago (and working
nationally, in Canada and the Caribbean) since the 1930s, and is currently an
adjunct professor of Architecture at IIT. He has done residential, commercial,
religious, and governmental, particularly courts, work.  He is best know as a
the "Dean" of judicial architectural consultant, and is editor of The American
Courthouse, and 20 Years of Courthouse Design Revisited.
    We have been talking with archives in the Chicago area interested in parts
of his collection.  One is interested in his commercial buildings, another in
the religious buildings, the third perhaps in his educational buildings or his
courthouse work.  There is also a foundation there that may be interested in
funding part of the processing.  An initial professional appraisal of the
collection finds substantial historical and artistic value. We would like to
try to find an archive, preferably in the Midwest, that would like to keep the
entire collection together before considering dividing it (or facing
"recycling"), or in acquiring the bulk and arranging for long term loans or
sharing with other institutions.
      Besides being a fascinating and thorough collection, it has the
comparative advantages of 1) covering a fascinating and important subject, 2)
3 archives have already indicated interest in the parts of the collection, 3)
it has been appraised and it has a significant historical and monetary value,
4) a foundation may be interested in providing some money for processing if an
archives takes responsibility and accepts the grant. As a scholar, I am aware
that those donors and archivists who had the foresight to collect historical
material have helped future research immensely. Acquiring and organizing this
collection can help in advancing the understanding of an essential century in
Chicago and American architecture and design.
     If you would be interested in possibly reviewing the collection toward
the goal of acquiring it, please let us know. If you would like to see a
fuller description, or help with advice on the review and placement of the
collection, please also get in touch. Thanks you for your interest. Best,
Richard Sobel