Re: Help needed

Thomas,
If your Director wants it you want it.  I think you should not worry about
misrepresenting yourself and go for it.  There are a few caveats though.  Does
this material fit your collection?  Do individual board members have the charge
to solicit collections without full board discussion of the space and money
considerations?  What did the original donor expect when the collection was
given to the other group.  Did they expect cataloging and access?  My feeling
is that if this is a good collection for you take it in and use it as a lever
for staff and facilities.  I guess I would make it plain to the board (in
writing) the costs that this acquisition will engender; i.e., moving and
handling, storage, inventory, perhaps reboxing, some preliminary appraisal,
ultimate cataloging, etc.  Also detail what this means in terms of your time
and work deferred from other projects.  I know it looks overwhelming now but
there may be ways to leverage the collection for some processing money from
industry or other sources or if access demands become high.  I guess I'm of the
mind to take it in if it enhances your collection.  Not much wisdom there I'm
afraid.  Dick King