Re: Mom Bett material

Jim,

There's a short article on her (with a short bibiography) in "Black Women in America: An Historical Encyclopedia," ed. Darlene Hine Clark, et al., Univ. Of Indiana Press, (paperback edition). Look in vol.1, p. 469. Her name was Elizabeth Freeman (c. 1744-1829) also known as "Mum Bett."  The article, a good one, is by Taunya Lovell Banks.

I included Freeman in my book on American Women, recently out. Are you going to write something on her case? I'd be most interested in getting a copy, if possible.

Hope this helps.

Linda Miles Coppens

---
Linda Miles Coppens