Budget Categories

Check out Budget Categories
Nann Blaine Hilyard (nhilyard@lvdl.org)
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/publib/archive/0102/0018.html

Sent To: publib@sunsite.berkeley.edu ( http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/publib )

People interested, concerned or affected by budget
actions, public libraries users/customers/consumers ,
public libraries personnel and public libraries unions
collective bargaining units labor relations advocates
can now view our Regional and Massachusetts Library
of Last Recourse City of Boston Public Library
Departments budget pages
http://www.ci.boston.ma.us/budget

and across the Charles River City of Cambridge Public
Library Departments budget pages
http://www.ci.cambridge.ma.us/dept/budget.html

You can ask other cities' budget departments for access
to read their budget details via the web.

Access to read the audits of our Boston Public Library
continues involving a requirement of dogged effort in
the face of the usual arbitrary denials, hypocritical
resistance, marginalization or ostracism by the so
called intellectual freedom advocates of Reference Desk
guidelines
http://www.ala.org/rusa/stnd_behavior.html

and The Library Bill of Rights
http://www.ala.org/work/freedom/interprt.html
http://www.ala.org/alaorg/oif/oifsitemap.html

It is laudable for you to follow an interest about
learning and understanding how our our cities' public
libraries work back stage behind the scenes.

Reading the information develops your knowledge of
civic affairs in addition to facilitating your use of
our cities' public libraries other collections and
services not so well known.

Whether you categorize yourself among public libraries
users/customers/consumers  or public libraries
personnel and public libraries unions collective
bargaining units labor relations advocates;
you can empower yourself by reading the information.

A public library board trustee contacted me asking
about how to get a copy of board bylaws in the face of
resistance from the board chair and head librarian.

My response was to submit my own request to the board
chair for the information and related information from
the city public library's previous boards and
administrations historically. I asked the information
be made available via web links or email !

It could be expected that reference desks would follow
up on requests of this kind as part of reference desk
services, providing a form and a more fair staff
committee review of the denial as has been done for
other kinds of banning attempts that are not seen as
internal to public libraries
http://www.ala.org/alaorg/oif/dealingwithconcerns.html#samplerequest

It would be a good idea for reference, readers services
and information desks to have information for public
library users/customers/consumers ,  public library
personnel and public libraries unions collective
bargaining units labor relations advocates about how to
negotiate with resistant public library officials
available more readily.

Asserting the right to read the gray literature of
public libraries governance can be empowering for
public libraries users/customers/consumers ,  for
public libraries personnel and for public libraries
unions collective bargaining units labor relations
advocates.

Our cities' public libraries, relatively better run
institutions even with our inside censoring, can be a
case example of how to access and read gray literature
http://www.libr.org/Juice/issues/vol3/LJ_3.34.html#13

I remain, as always, an advocate for institutional change
and improving the organizational culture or our cities'
public libraries!

Cheers! and kind regards,
oo-- dWs

Guide to Problematical Library Use
Contents
http://GuideToProblematicalLibraryUse.weblogs.com/stories

Searching via
http://www.google.com
Enter:
"descriptive terms" AND guidetoproblematicallibraryuse