Public lecture for teachers

William Francis Galvin
Secretary of the Commonwealth

Contact: Brian McNiff                                           February 5,
2001
Telephone: 617-727-9180

"TEACHING WITH HISTORIC PLACES"  LECTURE AT THE MASSACHUSETTS ARCHIVES

Secretary of the Commonwealth William Francis Galvin announced today that
Betsy Friedberg of the Massachusetts Historical Commission staff will
present "Teaching with Historic Places," the first in a monthly lecture
series for teachers, on Saturday, February 10, at 10:30 am, at the
Massachusetts Archives on Columbia Point in Dorchester.

Historic places can be a powerful teaching tool.  Every historic place has a
story to tell-about our past, about ourselves, and about our future.
"Teaching with Historic Places" uses sites listed in the National Register
to teach social studies, geography, history, and other subjects.  This
lecture introduces the National Register program and shows how historic
places can serve as the basis for lesson plans keyed to standard curricula
for primary and secondary grades.

Betsy Friedberg directs one of the most active National Register Programs in
the nation for the Massachusetts Historical Commission.  She is responsible
for shepherding thousands of historic resources through the evaluation and
listing process and is staff liaison to the public for the Teaching with
Historic Places program.  She holds a master's degree in American Studies
from Boston University.

The program is free and open to the public. Parking is free, and the
building is handicap accessible.  For additional information or a brochure
listing future lectures call 617-727-2816, or see our website at
www.state.ma.us/sec/arc.
-End-