pamphlets, ephemera, etc.

Listmembers:

I'm interested in how other organizations arrange, describe, catalog and
otherwise provide access to pamphlets, brochures, posters, memorabilia and
ephemera.  Does anyone have a system they think works well?  Can anyone
recommend a source for good definitions of these types of material?  Does
anyone have all or part of this system available online?  (These are part of
an artificial "community" collection, not unified business or personal
records.)

I work for a public library and we collect information from organizations,
institutions and events throughout the community.  Many of our pamphlets
will be cataloged using MARC and placed on public (non-circulating) shelves.
We currently catalog some annual reports and newsletters and place them on
the public shelves while others go to this community collection.  We have
used vertical files in the past that have been freely available for public
browsing but some of the materials within them were rare or unique, so we
are trying to find a way to provide both access and security (aren't we
all).

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and assistance.

Donna E. McCrea
Special Collections Librarian & Archivist
Pikes Peak Library District
Colorado Springs, Colorado
(719) 531-6333 x1217
dmccrea@mail.ppld.org