Re: advice

This month I am working closely with a library science student from another
university who is taking an internship to get some knowledge of the real
workings
of a library.   After a month in reference, she wants to learn about
special collections
and archives.  I have literally been blown away by some of our discussions
as it
has been a long time since I've looked at our profession through a
librarian's eyes!
We've spent a lot of time on philosophy behind what we do, so Paul's questions
fall right into this wonderfully intriguing discussion.

1)  By collection management, I gather Paul means "collection development."
That necessitates first, a mission statement .... what do you collect, and why.
Ours is the acquisition, cataloging, preservation, and access to materials
which document the history, development and people of the West Florida
region.   That gives us a geographical division without a limitation on time or
subject.   Within that we are also the University Archives for the University,
preserving the official and unofficial history of the University, its students,
staff, faculty, organizations, and agencies in which the University fosters
a partnership role.     Further in our policy, we delineate collecting without
regard to format.

2)  Within a library setting, formal cataloging can be preferable.  In many
settings this does not work due to the workload.   Most of the cataloging
will be original cataloging and it also requires specialized knowledge of the
cataloging of archival materials.   If you do go this route, you'll need to
have
cataloging staff specifically assigned to your area.     In addition, standard
cataloging might be "President's Records   1,000 l.f." and inhouse you'd
still want to have detailed inventories and indexes.   You might look at
learning
and utilizing EAD (encoded archival description) as a means for cataloging.

3) Materials hanging on the wall should be photographed so you have a record
of these materials, their location, etc.   Framed items can be "tattled" as
well.
I frankly do not believe "tattled" deters a professional thief.

4)  Individual separate temperature/humidity monitors are great, but I have to
ask for what purpose?    Since we can regulate our temperature and humidity
here, I utilize them to monitor problem situations.   For example, our
hygrotherm
in the reading room began showing extraordinary levels of humidity after hours.
We discovered maintenance had shut off one of our heat pipes where hot
water is utilized to control humidity, so we rectified that.    If you're
using them
as a basis for a long-term solution, it doesn't hurt to keep an ongoing
record so
you know what is happening.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338