Open Government flouted. Open Meetings flouted. Boston Public Library.

Boston Public Library
BPL
[Book graphic http://www.bpl.org/newindex.html ]

Copley Square
700 Boylston Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116
T 617.536.5400 [ext. 4475]
http://www.bpl.org

February 7, 2001

This letter is in response to your public records
 request for
 "...information with respect to the meetings of our
  Boston Public Library Board Collections Committee

  1. Agenda
  2. Dates
  3. Times and
  4. Locations"

 received via email and dated January 31, 2001.

It is estimated that it would take a clerical staff
 member
 approximately 20 minutes at
 $13.76 per hour to retrieve, separate, and photocopy
 the requested documents, at a cost of
 $4.60.

 The documents contain approximately
 30 pages of paper.

 The estimated cost of copying, at
 20 cents per page, is
 $6.00.

 Upon receipt of a check for
 $10.60, we will compile the materials pursuant to your
 request

In recognition of the potential expense to be incurred
 by you for the compilation of this request, the
 Library would make the requested document available
 for your onsite viewing in the President's Office,
 Monday-Friday, between
 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

 It is estimated it would take a clerical staff member
 approximately 10 minutes at
 $13.76/hour to retrieve the requested documents.

 Upon receipt of a check for
 $2.30 the Library will compile your request, and will
 notify you when it is available for your on-site
 review.

Sincerely yours,
Ruth E. Kowal
Director of Operations
[ http://www.bpl.org/www/news/directors.html ]

cc:
Stacey Bloom, Assistant Corporation Counsel
City of Boston
[ http://www.ci.boston.ma.us/law ]
[ mayor@ci.boston.ma.us ]

Books are just the beginning.