Google Acquires Deja's Usenet Discussion Service

Google Inc. has acquired Deja.com's Usenet Discussion Service, including
its collection of more than 500 million messages, which goes back to
1995.

http://groups.google.com/

If you add this to the caching Google does of old web pages (pages that
have been taken down can still be accessed through Google for 30 days),
this seems to turn Google into a pretty helpful source of primary
sources of recent Internet history.

As I've mentioned on this list earlier, Deja has been involved in
controversies over advertisement links added to postings (which seems to
raise issues of authenticity).  There has also be controversy about
access to messages from the period of 1995-1999:
http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

  Cal Lee
  University of Michigan
  School of Information
  Phone: 734-647-0505
  http://www-personal.si.umich.edu/~calz/
  "How can I know what I think because I forgot what I said?"
                                          - Karl Weick, 1979