Re: Archival Consultant fees

Generally, one can look at the going salary schedules for university
archivists/librarians in the appropriate area.  [These are usually a
little low, but they ARE usually available on the Web.]   Divide the
annual rate by 2000 and multiply by a factor between 1.4 and 1.5 (to make
up for extra taxes, self-insurance, etc.).  This should give you a
realistic hourly rate.

Pick your salary range from the level of expertise needed.  It sounds
like your friend's job calls for more expertise than can be gotten from a
subject area masters and a couple of courses.  A degreed archivist with
some experience is called for to do what you describe.  Remember, as a
consultant, you are ethically bound to work quickly, efficiently, and in
your client's best interests.  So make sure you pick from salary
schedules that reflect these qualifications.

In S. California, using the CSU salary schedules, one comes up with the
following figures:
Salary [several years experience and one or more degrees appropriate to
the task]: 45-50k (Those of you in Texas, don't get excited...it costs a
bundle to live here!!)

Say $47,500.  Divide by 2000 and multiply that by 1.4 gives you
$33.25/hr.  Considering all the local taxes and fees in California, you'd
be safer to multiply by 1.5, to get $35.63/hr.  Sounds like a lot.  [I've
seen more than one client, expecting to pay in the range they pay file
clerks, grow a little pale...]  But remember there's no sick leave, no
vacation, and no payment for all that down-time you're spending looking
for the next project.

John Howard Fowler, PhD, MLIS
Consulting Archivist
3221 W. 177th