RAIN 02/27: Donor records, cyber-sleuthing, tape back-up strategi es

Connecticut Post 02/26/01
Records teach lesson on school
Shelton Historical Society excited to get information on building
<http://www.connpost.com/S-ASP-Bin/ReformatSQLIndex.ASP?puid=6773&spuid=6773
&Indx=697436&Article=ON&id=45176350&ro=8>

by Amanda Cuda
SHELTON -- Last month, Probate Judge Fred J. Anthony was leafing through old
probate documents when he found a book of handwritten entries regarding
meetings and the operation of the Trap Falls School District from 1854
through 1894.
"At first I wasn't sure what it was until I flipped through it," said
Anthony, also a member of the historical society's board of directors.
The Trap Falls district included only one school -- Trap Falls School --
which is now located on the historical center's property, at 70 Ripton Road.
Upon discovering what the book contained, Anthony decided to give the book
to the historical society.

Contra Costa Times 02/26/01
Federal courts study security of cyberfiles
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/nation/stories/sjprivacy_20010226.htm

by Howard Mintz
San Jose Mercury News
>From epic trade-secret battles in Silicon Valley to an individual's
bankruptcy in Topeka, Kan., the federal courts are moving toward a system of
filing all documents electronically, hoping to eventually mothball those
paper-filled manila folders jamming shelves in courthouses across the
country.

San Jose Mercury News 02/26/01
Privacy debate over court files
Federal judges making more and more records available online
http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/local/docs/privacy26a.htm

by Howard Mintz
>From epic trade-secret battles in Silicon Valley to an individual's
bankruptcy in Topeka, Kan., the federal courts are moving toward a system of
filing all documents electronically, hoping to eventually mothball those
paper-filled manila folders jamming shelves in courthouses across the
country.

The Herald of Everett 02/26/01
Monroe Council not keen on city staff's records suggestion
http://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/01/2/26/13486424.cfm

by Leslie Moriarty
MONROE -- If you want to look at a public document and think it will take
you more than 30 minutes, be ready to make an appointment.
At least that's what the city of Monroe staff is suggesting.
But the Monroe City Council might not be so keen on the idea, which would
require residents to jump through more hoops to see public records.
The council will meet Wednesday in a work session to talk about the proposed
amendment to the city's records disclosure policy. The public is invited.

New York Times 02/26/01
Museum scientists size up everyman's precious finds
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/26/nyregion/26TREA.html

by Sherri Day
John Higgins carefully removed the four rocks, which he was certain were
meteorites, from his blue backpack. Moments later he learned that only two
of them had come from outer space.
Undaunted, Mr. Higgins pulled one more object from his bag. It was his most
precious treasure, a six-inch totem pole carved from a rock and crowned with
what appeared to be the head of a tiger or dragon. He had saved it for last.
"I bought it from a poor Mexican for $80," said Mr. Higgins, 23, adding that
the seller had assured him that it was an artifact from the Mayan ruins.

Los Angeles Times 02/26/01
New Questions arise on fate of Gestapo Chief
http://www.latimes.com/news/state/20010226/t000017230.html

by Henry Weinstein
For more than 50 years, Nazi hunters and historians have tried in vain to
discover what happened to Gestapo chieftain Heinrich Muller, who vanished in
1945 at the end of World War II.
Of all the major Nazis, Muller, who was Adolf Eichmann's immediate superior,
is the most important still unaccounted for, according to numerous Holocaust
experts.
Now, efforts to solve the mystery are resurfacing, including attempts to
answer the most provocative question of all: Was Muller briefly in U.S.
custody after the war? If so, did he escape, or was he freed to become a CIA
spy?

Russia Today 02/26/01
Stasi files reveal Putin's shadowy KGB past
http://www.russiatoday.com/news.php3?id=297382

Reuters
DRESDEN, Feb 26, 2001 -- (Reuters <http://www.reuters.com>) The East German
secret police had a favor to ask of their KGB comrades -- could the Soviet
Union recruit a man who lived next to a German Communist party guest house
in Dresden and ask him to spy on visitors there?
"Comrade V.V. Putin to accomplish this," a Soviet official scribbled by hand
on the secret 1987 letter from the Stasi, referring to KGB agent, now
Russian President, Vladimir Putin.

New York Times 02/26/01
Search project prepares to challenge Google
http://www.nytimes.com/cnet/CNET_0-1005-200-4950537.html

by Paul Festa
CNET News.com
A company in the business of reviving abandoned technologies is preparing a
peer-to-peer search engine aimed straight at the heart of Google.
Web search technology has long been vexed by the problem of prioritizing the
thousands of Web pages that common queries yield. Project Pandango, the
work-in-progress of Seattle-based i5 Digital, attempts to determine that
priority by examining the Web surfing histories of a wide network of
computers on the Web.

Christian Science Monitor 02/26/01
Divulging donors of Clinton library: a bad precedent?
http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/2001/02/26/fp2s2-csm.shtml

by Suzi Parker
Special to The Christian Science Monitor
Little Rock, Ark.
A congressional committee's desire to examine fundraising records for the
future William J. Clinton Presidential Library is touching off a furor in
charitable circles over the issue of donor privacy.
Confidentiality is a long-honored tradition among private foundations - one
that its supporters say has been upheld in US courts. Now, a congressman's
request to see donor records of the foundation raising money for the Clinton
library - part of his investigation into the pardon of fugitive financier
Marc Rich - threatens to undermine that principle, they say.

San Francisco Chronicle 02/26/01
Cyber Sleuths: Computer forensics booms as importance of electronic evidence
grows
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/02/2
6/BU69784.DTL>

by Carrie Kirby
Kris Haworth is sitting around at the office, waiting for the day to end so
her work can begin.
When night falls, Haworth and several staff members plan to go to a client's
office, where the chief financial officer will be waiting to let them in.
Once inside, the team will open up several desktop computers, pull out the
hard drives and copy their entire contents onto portable computers.

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 02/26/01
Counties weave tangled Web
Government Net sites often outdated, clumsy
http://www.jsonline.com/news/ozwash/feb01/web26022501a.asp

by Don Behm
When it comes to providing easy and reliable access to government services
on the information highway, many Wisconsin counties are traveling through
cyberspace in the equivalent of a horse and buggy.
If you looked on the Washington County Web site earlier this month for the
County Board agenda, you would have found the posting for the Sept. 12
meeting.

The Flint Journal 02/26/01
Logging in history: Brothers spent lives documenting booming lumber,
railroad era
<http://fl.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20010226fc1goodridgebrothe
rs.frm>

by Rhonda Sanders
The Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad line from Flint to Saginaw opened in
December 1862, making it easier and more profitable for the booming lumber
industry to move the massive logs from the pine forests to market.
At the time, Saginaw was the region's lumber center, but Flint's milling
operations were burgeoning, spurred by Henry Howland Crapo, who had
strategically chosen Flint instead of Saginaw when he set up shop in 1855.

The following article is a multiple-page article, be sure to check out the
other pages that are shown at the bottom. Be sure to check out the last page
which contains storage strategies for the long term. They do want comments.

Network Computing 3/5/01
The Hows and Whens of Tape of Backups
http://www.networkcomputing.com/1205/1205ws1.html

by Howard Marks

The initial questions to answer are how often and how fully you want to back
up any given data set. The answers you come up with depend on several
factors. The most significant of these are the total amount of data, the
volatility of the data, the time available to make backups (often called the
backup window) and the length of time you need to be able to recover files
(known as the restore horizon).
The simplest scheme is to simply run a full backup of each system you're
looking to protect every night. Full backups are easy to restore and easy to
make, as long as the amount of data to back up fits on a single tape or on
the set of tapes in a changer, and the backup can be completed in the
available backup window.

Seattle Times 02/26/01
Buried in paper? It's a good time to get organized
<http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis/web/vortex/display?
slug=paperwork26&date=20010226>

Remember the prediction years ago that computers and electronic money would
turn us into a paperless society? Well, it seems today that we are deluged
with more paper than ever.
Bills, canceled checks, ATM and credit-card receipts, bank and investment
statements bulge from pockets and wallets and spill out of drawers and shoe
boxes.
What must you keep? What can you throw out? And if you do purge paperwork,
will you realize a pack rat's worst fear: Needing something that's long
since been tossed?

Atlanta Journal-Constitution 02/26/01
Lawmakers seek privacy limits for public workers
<http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/ajc/epaper/editions/monday/news_a3996
f8084aee0b200ea.html>

by Rhonda Cook
Whether a school bus driver has a criminal record or a checkered driving
history is information that's available to the public at the county
courthouse..
But measures before the Georgia Legislature would restrict public access to
such records in the interest of protecting the privacy of government
employees.
If approved, identifying data such as Social Security numbers would not be
available. Such identifiers make it possible to differentiate between a John
Smith who is a bus driver, and a John Smith who has a record of sex
offenses. Even if they are the same age and share the same hometown, they
will have different Social Security numbers.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc
Midlothian, Virginia