legal control over archives

Dear list,

We have a couple of collections (organizational records) where
legal control is a concern--the donors have retained the right to
control access to the collections.  If we collect items (annual reports,
for example) that were produced by these organizations, but owned
and donated by someone else, can we assume that they do not come under
these restrictions?  How do people usually handle the cataloging
in this case?

The donor agreements in question were negotiated
20-30 years ago, and renegotiation doesn't
look possible at the moment, so I'm trying to figure out the best
way of handling it. If anyone else has faced a situation like this and has
some insights to share, please respond off-list and I'll summarize.

Thanks,
Joy Kingsolver

Joy Kingsolver, C.A.
Archivist