Article on data Preservation Issues ("Phantom Menace")

E-records and the "Phantom Menace"

I believe the folks on this list may be interested the factors (physical
decay, incompatible media, arcane data formats, etc) that threaten to
render much of our information heritage unusable. I hope you'll find this
useful. It's an article which summarizes many of the issues confronting
those who seek to preserve and convert data in its most useful form. It's
entitled National Information Resources Face a "Phantom Menace". It can be
found at:

http://www.mullermedia.com/mm_convert_about_news_pdflib.htm#legacy

Background: A while back, we gave a presentation before the "Electronic
Records Assessment Team" at the National Archives and Records
Administration (NARA). There was a slide presentation (PDF version can also
be found at the link above) and a printed essay (the "Phantom Menace") was
given out.

Those two documents are (we hope) of general interest and not very spammy.
If you'd like to look at the rest of the site, (we hope that, too) you'll
find plenty of spam as well as other useful information.<g>

Very truly yours,

Christopher Muller, president
Muller Media Conversions, Inc.
212-344-0474