From: John Macleod [mailto:macleoj@GOV.NS.CA]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 8:06 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Records of Steel mills

Would anyone be aware of any collections of records from a steel company.
In looking over the net I have come across a few repositories that have
good documentation on who may have worked in a plant but I have seen few
records that reflect the management of an industrial complex.

Steel making seems to be a complex business involving the integrated works
of a number of separate industrial processes - even more so as the product
line is diversified.  As such one might expect a lot of records that
reflect the difficulty of co-ordinating these activities and then the usual
corporate stuff of management planning, governance, marketing and so on.
There would probably be a lot of technical stuff created or kept that might
have relevance if you were standing by the switches but which probably
would be of no archival interest.

On the other hand I could be totally wrong about what the archival record
of a steel mill would be like.  Are there any collections out there that
might shed some light on what archives might be found in a steel mill.