Re: Map folders = ? linear feet

Hmmm......... "proper way" is a loaded question, and this
does not directly answer your question, but....

A number of years ago we had to come up with the volume
of holdings in the collection, and were given equivalents to
determine cubic feet.  From that chart (in the USGS Handbook),
1 map file drawer (size not defined but probably assumed
to be ca. 36- x 48-inches internal measurement) equals 1/2 cubic
foot.
Does someone from National Archives or elsewhere have suggestions on
calculating linear feet as Gail requests?  I'm interested in how you would
determine that for flat-filed material such as maps, well logs (frequently
file in deep drawers on their edge), etc.

Carol A. Edwards
USGS Field Records Library
MS 914, Box 25046, Federal Center
Denver, CO 80225-0046
email: cedwards@usgs.gov
phone: 303-236-1005
fax: 303-236-0015

                    Gail E Farr
                    <gfarr@SAS.UPENN.EDU        To:
                    >                           ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    Sent by: Archives &         cc:
                    Archivists                  Subject:     Map folders = ?
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M        linear feet
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    03/08/2001 05:51 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Gail E Farr

Hi, folks.
Can someone please clarify for me the proper way to measure holdings of
flat-filed material.  My understanding is that you measure the length of
the drawer from front to back.  Do you then multiply that times the
number of folders in the drawer to get the total linear feet of holdings
in the drawer?

Thanks for your assistance.

Sincerely,
Gail E. Farr, CA