what to tell a nine year old

I have had two similar experiences:

1) I brought my my 9 year old sister-in-law (yes, that's right) to "Take
Your Daughter To Work Day" last year.  Although I didn't spend too much
time trying to explain the ins & outs of the job I was able to get her (&
her friend's) attention through the following:  I showed them a book
published in 1493--I figured they would know about Columbus and the 1492
date, a book with a fore-edge painting, and student scrapbooks.  Sarah
noticed several programs in several scrapbooks for shows featured
"black-faced" characters and said "hey...this is the same guy in all of
these programs"--I had to explain that this wasn't the same person and that
it was just an actor with makeup!  We took them down to media services
where they had fun looking through the cameras and they loved checking out
books at the circulation desk.  Both girls said they wanted to be
librarians!  I'm not sure how much they learned but I think they came away
with a sense that libraries and archives are fun places with lots of neat
stuff.

2)  I had a group of elementary students visit special collections several
years ago.  They were studying the Civil War and wanted to look at any
related items.  I pulled out photos, autograph albums, a belt buckle,
confederate money, and 1860's Godey's Ladies Books, among other things.
The kids loved looking at the stuff, especially the money.  I think the
girls were more interested in looking at the beautiful color fashion plates
that fold out than the articles I had suggested they study--oh well.  I
think they were all impressed and had a good time.

I don't get children too often but I think it's a great opportunity to get
them excited about history.  I understand that the SOL's require using
primary resources for learning about history so archivists/curators are
even more essential to the learning process.

Beth S. Harris
Special Collections Management Librarian
P. O. Box 9000 / 7950 E. Campus Drive
Wyndham Robertson Library       Email: bharris@hollins.edu
Hollins University              Phone: (540) 362-6237
Roanoke, VA 24020               Fax: (540) 362-6756