Quotations from great people about archives and archivists

When the members of the Congress created these Presidential Libraries they did a great public service.  They made available for research the records of vital periods in American history--and they planted these records in the countryside instead of allowing their concentration on the seaboard.

Already the three libraries of President Roosevelt, President Truman, and President Eisenhower, by their unique documentation, serve this purpose, and today we dedicate a fourth--my own.

Within them are thrilling records of supreme action by the American people, their devotion and sacrifice to their ideals.

Santayana rightly said: "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it." These institutions are the repositories of such experience--hot off the griddle.

                    --HERBERT HOOVER
                    Dedication of Hoover Library
                    August 10, 1962

Lynn A. Smith, CA