Re: Use of furniture polish

One year we had a new janitor's assistant who began coming in every
morning and "cleaning" our user tables.   Now these are really a wood
frame with a plastic counter inlay as their surface.   They do mar, and
take pencil marks and dirt, but are not wood.   Consequently we began
noticing an oil buildup on them.   At that point, I forbade cleaning the
tables except for dusting.    Now they are wiped down, perhaps on
Mondays, and I routinely check them to see if they are depositing oil
on materials.    I have wondered about using temporary "place mats"
of some time to protect materials but have not gone that far....yet.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338