Re: Archives quotes

All,

        I first heard this quote at SAA in 1999 in a program on Practicing
Archives with a Postmodern Perspective. I'm embarrassed to say that I
don't remember the speaker's name, only that he was quite good. The quote
is from Vonnegut's futuristic "Sirens of Titan". The first paragraph was
the quote as heard at SAA, the second I'm adding from the book:

        In the year Ten Million...there would be a tremendous
housecleaning. All records relating to the period between the death of
Christ and the year One Million A.D. would be hauled to dumps and burned.
This would be done...because museums and archives would be crowding the
living right off the earth.
        The million-year period to which the burned junk related would be
summed up in history books in one sentence...:"Following the death of
Jesus Christ, there was a period of readjustment that lasted for
approximately one million years."

Curtis Lyons
Special Collections                     "Nothing formative in the world,
James Branch Cabell Library      nothing great or beautiful in the world
Virginia Commonwealth Univ.      has ever been born of rational argument."
calyons@vcu.edu                                 - "Art", Yasmina Reza.