Re: Archival Consultant fees-She does not have a great deal of ar chival training

Lucinda, and others

While I agree in principle with your approach, the real world isn't
necessarily going to follow along.  The low-end questions are coming from
the poor saps who have been stuffed into the "Archives" jobs at the behest
of their dimwitted superiors.  It makes sense to us to hire fully trained
professionals because we understand that there's more to it than "go
organize the stuff".  The aforementioned dimwits, on the other hand, never
think beyond "let's save some money".

It always makes more sense to hire professional people, as it saves money,
time, and aggravation in the long run - anybody here tried to fix something
in their houses on their own, & had it go horribly wrong?  You end up paying
twice as much to have it done right.  But people still think, at least with
archives, that they can get away with good enough.  I suspect, in most
cases, they don't even put that much thought into it - they want it done and
they can't be bothered to see that it's done right.

I'm going to stick up for the saps - the poor guys/gals that really are paid
to do something else entirely but get stuck with a very complex job they're
not trained for.  If we ever get the dimwits on top to figure out archivists
are better than non-archivists (well, OK, maybe not to fix a nuclear
reactor), I'll support your ban on oversimple questions.

Heck, the dumb q's are still better than the "me toos" & the ""out of
offices"

Daniel (whose boss is really very nice and not a dimwit at all especially at
review time) Sokolow
Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu