need appraisal help

I have been a lurker, more or less, for over 5 years.  I had at one time hoped to have a career in archives.  Though that may now never come to pass, my interest is still as keen as ever.  So, I have no credentials, but I am in need of help.

I possess one of George Washington's masonic aprons, brought down through the family since Washington died.  I never could establish the complete provenance, but now, through Mt. Vernon, we were able to tie up the loose ends.

Before I can determine where it should ultimately reside (we have no children), I need to have it professionally and properly appraised.  Because there seem to be no comparables, the people and auction galleries we've contacted feel they could not give an appraisal of its true value.

Where do you, as professionals go to get valid, realistic market-level appraisals?  Please respond to me.  I don't want to bother the list further.

Thanks for any help or guidance you can give me.
Margaret M. Pinkham
mpinkham@sprynet.com
Phone:  860-429-1751