copyright and public schools

Hello list,

I've had a request from a friend of mine concerning a copyright issue that I am unable to answer. Her son is performing in a high school play, and she has been told that she cannot bring in a personal video camera and film the play for personal use. There has been lots of complaints from parents about this, and they're not sure where to turn. My inclination is that the school has the right to set such a policy, and I liken it to going to a rock concert and not being able to take photos or film the performance. However, as this is a public school, I'm not sure what precedent and/or law would be relevant to the issue one way or another.

Neil Dahlstrom

Neil Dahlstrom
Chief Archivist
Space Business Archives