Digital data storage

Greetings,

I have a question about what constitutes adequate storage for a digital
archive.  We are creating a digital archive of several thousand photographs
that have been scanned and saved as TIFF files.  We are planning on burning
the files to CDs.  The question I have is, how many copies of the CDs do we
need?  My boss, who is concerned about the bottom line thinks that two copies
will be adequate- a master copy and a working copy.  I would also like to
burn a third copy and send it off-site as a kind of disaster insurance (in
case the building burns down).  Are there any commonly accepted guildlines
for redundant backups of digital archives?  Are two copies adequate, or is a
third copy necessary?  Thanks,

Andrew Okpeaha MacLean
Archival Technician
Tuzzy Consortium Library