Response to digital imaging question

Earlier I had asked about digital imaging terminology.  Here is a summary
of a response I received.

"The basics are:
     resolution - 300 ppi/dpi, 600 ppi/dpi, etc.
     bit depth - 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit
     color/grayscale - for color RGB or CYMK
     file type - usually TIF, but JPG, GIF, etc.
     ratio of original to scan - usually 1:1 but can be anything requested"

However, the person cautioned that rather than ask researches what they
prefered, it would be better to tell them what I was prepared to give
them.  The suggestion there was "i. e. 300 ppi, 8 bit, RGB color or
grayscale, TIF, 1:1." I followed up with a question about whether this was
high or low end resolution and got this answer:  "Most printers (ones who
use the presses and make brochures and books and things) only use 300 ppi
resolution. The 8-bit part is a bit low but plenty adequate. THe rest is
standard. Web images are usually only 72 ppi. Most desktop printers can go
as high as 600 ppi but usually only 300 ppi. If you're concerned about "not
giving away the farm" don't provide anything over about 150 ppi."

I found this information very useful.

Catherine Bruck