Re: ebay and SONJ

  Since we're the institution holding Standard Oil (New Jersey), I though I'd throw my tuppence in.
  SONJ started the photographic library in 1943, and until we acquired it in the mid-70s, they gave away prints to any publisher, magazine, teacher, or ad agency that could improve the badly tarnished corporate image.  So, though we have the rights today, thousands of prints were distributed in the past.  Many are in other repositories.
  Undoubtedly Championsstuff got his prints that way, and has made copies.  Some of the group he's describing as SONJ are, some are FSA prints.  Since they're all by Lee, I assume that they were used for a book on Lee somewhere.  I bought a print from him some time ago to see what the deal was, and it was a cheap bad copy print.
  At the end of the day, though, our legal department isn't going to go after someone for making a questionable five bills a print; so we're ignoring him.  We have plenty of paperwork for our copies when they go out, but we can't monitor the world, and stuff happens.
  I've bought off ebay, and we've purchased for the department, and usually with good results.  There are some very knowledgable and ethical people there, and some who are not. Same as everywhere else. Caveat emptor.

Susan Knoer

Susan Knoer
Reference Assistant
Special Collections