Re: "Access and Allies" question

I believe Dean is correct in that he is using the term "creator" in the
archival sense to denote the entity that creates the *series or collection*
of records, i.e. brings the materials together as a collective whole, not
the one who might physically produce a particular document within the
collection.  An invoice received by the university might be physically
produced by a private vendor, but that document then becomes part of a
series of invoices, and that series is created and maintained by the
university as part of its official duties and is therefore public record.  A
letter written by a private citizen to a government official is physically
produced by that private citizen but then becomes part of a series of
correspondence of that public official, and that series is created and
maintained by that public office as part of its official duties.  OTOH, a
collection of private papers of an individual was "created", i.e. brought
together as a collective unit, by that individual (even if it contains
letters to that person or other documents that were physically produced by
others) and is therefore not public record even if the collection is then
donated to a public archives; the archives, or its parent institution, did
not bring the materials comprising that collection together to form a
collective whole as part of its official functions.

Thus it is in Florida, where we do everything right . . .

Beth Golding
Florida State Archives
egolding@mail.dos.state.fl.us