Response to your query about automating stacks and accessions

April 3, 2001

Fred Stielow, Director
Reuther Library/Labor Union Archives
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

Hi Fred--

        I read your request to the archives listserv yesterday related to the
Reuther's barcoding its collections and stack locations.  As Dan Golodner
knows, (he's toured our labor archives and records center here) we've been
using Triadd Corp's GAIN records management software since 1994 and are very
happy with it.

      I had attended an ARMA workshop meeting earlier (in 1992) that
presented some 46 possible records management software choices for managing
records storage.  Anyway, I selected 23 to research further (based on various
considerations, including cost, compatibility with windows, and multi-user
capabilities) and after further investigation of our top five choices, as
well as visiting clients of our top 3 choices, my staff and I selected  GAIN.
 It has served us very well, and even though  it is supposedly for managing
records in a records center, it provides, of course, searching and barcoding
capabilitiesof our archives/historical records stored here at UFT and at NYU.

        When we were checking out software in 1994, I didn't even consider
archives software seriously since none of the products had the storage
tracking     and location control searching features that we wanted.  Anyway,
I would be interested in how you decided to go with FileMakerPro and would
like to know more about its features.  If you are interested in GAIN and our
set-up here, please give me a call.  I'd be happy to give you a tour if
you're ever in NYC. Since we are utilizing this software in a labor
union--and the biggest teachers local affiliated with AFT-- it seems entirely
relevant to your labor history archives.  I just decided that maybe I should
also post this to the list, since others might also be interested, so I'm
doing that now.  Good luck with your project.

                                Sincerely yours,

                                Lucinda Manning, Director
                                UFT Archives & Records Center
                                United Federation of Teachers