Re: Civil War Bullets

>Which brings me to
>the main point, an absolutely fascinating book I read, and whose
>name nor author I can never remember, about the French
>government's department of Demineage, which is a whole
>government agency devoted to nothing else but picking up old
>artillery shells that the French countryside--and, one suspects,
>much of Europe--is littered with to this day, and disposing of.

Several years ago one of the major network's news divisions did a story on
this group. Absolutely fascinating work. Showed them gathering the old
unexploded shells, many dating back to WW I, stacking them up and then
exploding them. The shells are usually discovered during spring plowing or a
result of the ground over time pushing the shells to the surface. Some
farmers die every year when their plows hit the shells causing them to
explode.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc