Paper Conspiracy

Are any of you familar with the publication Double Fold: Libraries and the
Assault on Paper by Nicholson Baker.  Apparently he claims that there is a
conspiracy agong archivist and librarians against paper especially
newsprint in favor of microfilm.  He states we "destroy to preserve" and
that we are responsible for depleting original documents.
He praises the Boston Public Library for having no preservation
administrator and claims that this is why they have a large collection of
newspapers.  I believe their microtext department is also significant.
Any reaction to this conspiracy theory?