[no subject]

Dallas Morning News 4/14/01
An in-law's take on the outlaw life
Diary of Barrow by marriage on view
http://www.dallasnews.com/metro/stories/338581_photos_14met.A.html

by Kim Horner
After six years in a Missouri prison, Blanche Barrow rarely talked about her
life on the run with the legendary bank-robbing duo of Bonnie and Clyde. But
when she died in 1988, Ms. Barrow left a diary that tells her story.
"I hope ... you can see what can happen to an innocent person. How easily
they can become trapped in the net of crime," the longtime Dallas area
resident wrote while in the penitentiary in the 1930s.

Los Angeles Times 4/14/01
Japan opens to scrutiny under Freedom of Information Law
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/20010414/t000031662.html

by Valerie Reitman
TOKYO--Outside Japan's drab Foreign Ministry building stands a
200-square-yard prefab building with a small but significant plaque:
"Information Disclosure Room, Second Floor."
Thanks to a freedom of information law that took effect this month, citizens
can now obtain details of national civil servants' actions and the use of tax
dollars at the Foreign Ministry and dozens other federal agencies.

Lawrence Journal-World 4/14/01
Parolees' and inmates' identities can be kept private when accused of murder,
judge rules
http://www.ljworld.com/section/stateregional/story/49206

Associated Press
Wichita - The Department of Corrections does not have to reveal information
about parolees accused of murder, a judge has ruled.
However, The Wichita Eagle is entitled to the names of people who have served
on the department's Serious Incident Review Boards, Shawnee County District
Judge Eric Rosen said in a ruling filed Tuesday. The panels look at questions
over handling of inmates and monitoring of parolees.

The Age 4/15/01
Historian wounded as theory backfires
http://www.theage.com.au/news/2001/04/15/FFX69Q29ILC.html

by Roger Franklin
Early last year, a young and obscure history professor advanced a fascinating
theory: America's love affair with the gun is a relatively recent passion,
and one that would have appalled the Founding Fathers. Contrary to myth, few
19th century Americans owned a gun, and if they did, it was likely to be
ancient or broken.
Based on an analysis of the personal possessions listed in more than 11,000
wills filed for probate between 1765 and 1859, the argument advanced by Emory
University's Michael Bellesiles found an eager - perhaps all-to-eager -
audience.

Los Angeles Times 4/15/01
New York retaking historic military items gone AWOL
http://www.latimes.com/editions/orange/ocnews/20010415/t000032043.html

by Michael Hill
Associated Press
WATERVLIET, N.Y.--Col. Elmer Ellsworth was an early martyr for the Union,
shot dead on a stairwell moments after plucking an offending Confederate flag
from a hotel rooftop in Alexandria, Va.
His Civil War uniform, bullet hole and all, went to New York state's
collection of military artifacts. From there, it was misplaced about a
century later--one of many items discovered absent without leave from the
collection a few years ago.

New York Times 4/15/01
A century's photo history destined for life in a mine
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/15/national/15BETT.html

by Sarah Boxer
It will be a surreal burial.
The Bettmann archive, the quirky cache of pictures that Otto Bettmann sneaked
out of Nazi Germany in two steamer trunks in 1935 and then built into an
enormous collection of historical importance, will be sunk 220 feet down in a
limestone mine situated 60 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, where it will be
far from the reach of historians. The archive, which is estimated to have as
many as 17 million photographs, is a visual history of the 20th century.
Since 1995 it has belonged to Corbis, the private company of Microsoft's
chairman, William H. Gates.

New York Times 4/15/01
Book Review: Paper Chase
Nicholson Baker makes a case for saving old books and newspapers
http://www.nytimes.com/books/01/04/15/reviews/010415.15gatest.html

by David Gates
It took me days to read all of Nicholson Baker's ''Double Fold,'' not because
it's a slog -- far from it -- but because it got me, as he intended, hopping
mad. Get through a few paragraphs, up out of the chair, go do something for a
few hours, then back at it. I felt like thrusting it under every sentient
nose I could find; but I'd repeatedly scrawled ''Whew!,'' ''Yikes!'' and
''Jesus!'' in the margins, sometimes two and three times a page, and one
hates to look crazed. But Baker, bless his obsessive-compulsive heart,
doesn't seem to mind: one of his sliest strategies always has been to present
himself as a hand-wringing head case with an off-the-charts I.Q. In ''Double
Fold,'' glimpses of his old nerd-in-overdrive persona (''I began moaning and
typing things like 'Oh, my friends, it's worse than you think' '') make his
indignation the more thunderous by contrast. If there's justice in the world,
he'll rattle some cages. I know: big if.

New York Times 4/07/01
Preserving Books? It's easy on paper
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/07/arts/07PAPE.html

by Elaine Sciolino
WASHINGTON -- James H. Billington, the librarian of Congress, leaned back in
an armchair in his spacious office overlooking the Capitol, clasped his hands
around one knee and said that he was shocked, shocked that the Library of
Congress once destroyed books.
"This is the first time I ever heard that such a thing happened," he said in
an interview, adding: "That was much before I had anything to do with the
Library. I'll look into it, and we can get an answer, I guess." The answer
came from Winston Tabb, his associate librarian for services. "It was a
typical procedure," he said. "Virtually all libraries guillotined. That was
the only technique available. They filmed and disposed of the paper because
they had the essence of the book."

Washington Post 4/15/01
Book Review: Double Fold: Libraries and the Assault on Paper
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/books/A11253-2001Apr12.html

by Michael Durda
It is a truth universally acknowledged, at least among collectors, that a
public library is generally the worst place for a book. Spines are marked
with call numbers, dust jackets discarded and titles mis-shelved, pages
dog-eared or stained by cookie-munching readers, bindings broken during
strenuous photocopying, margins inked up with sophomoric doodlings, and most
of the books treated with roughly the same respect we give disposable paper
towels.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Richmond, Va
pakurilecz@aol.com