audio digitization

Quick Question:

I'm being asked to compare the costs of digitizing an oral history
collection in order to ease access.  The collection consists of
about 1500 reel-to-reel audio tapes.  My question is:  Would it be
cheaper to hire a part-timer to do this work (we are in the process
of getting computer equipment which could be used for this
purpose if need be) or would it be cheaper and less of a hassle
(timewise) to simply outsource the entire thing?  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Tawnya Mosier
Film and AV Archivist
Special Collections