-Exhibit: Day to day free expression at our cities' public libraries -Case example: Boston Public Library

Boston Public Library
Interoffice Memorandum
To: All Staff
From: Bernard A. Margolis, President
Date: January 25, 2001
Re: Observations

We who work in the Library profession are strongly
 committed to freedom of expression and access to
 information.

 Respecting    everyone's    right to speak,
 to formulate opinions and to share them, and having a
 workplace that is tolerant of different points of
 view, is important to all of us.

 However, in expressing these differing points of view
 it is important that we focus on issues, and not
 people, and that we strive for accurate, positive, and
 constructive communications.

 It is incumbent on all of us to make every effort to
 find forums for discourse that are candid, yet
 thoughtful and respectful.

We are in the midst of significant change in the world
 around us, in our profession, in our own institution,
 and in our lives.

 Many of our patrons are expecting different things
 from us; as library staff we are seeking paths to
 respond to and incorporate new demands, new tools, and
 new cultural expectations.

 The vision of a great library can only be a vision
 that includes everyone pulling in the same direction,
 respecting one another and respecting those we serve.

 There is no room for harsh words and personal
 criticisms as we endeavor to make the Library a great
 place for everyone to work and an institution that
 makes a meaningful and effective contribution to the
 world we serve.

The recent back and forth about the Library's
 logo/brand, slogan and public awareness campaign
 serves as an example of when discussion such as this
 could have contributed positively to an improved and
 enhanced product and to a broader understanding about
 how the logo came to be, had the focus been around the
 product.

 In fact, some helpful suggestions, such as color
 suitability for copying and readability on the
 billboards, are being worked on currently.

P.A. d'Arbeloff [ padarbeloff@bpl.org ] and the entire
 Communications staff created a process that was open
 and inviting to everyone and which reflected the
 highest standards of professional competence and
 professional conduct

 Their creation of the new logo/slogan and the public
 awareness campaign was not conducted in a vacuum.

 The pro bono (free) services of a distinguished public
 relations firm, Arnold Communications, brought a high
 level of professional public relations skills to us.
 [ http://www.arn.com ]

 Outside focus groups, internal focus groups and

All Staff Memo                                   2
January 25, 2001

 a lengthy creative process involving lots of
 discussion with lots of people produced the logo which
 we are now using.

Just as the previous "logos" used by the Library did
 not have universal acceptance, this one will not
 either.

 However, it is the result of a thoughtful and
 deliberate effort executed by our Communications
 staff, as well as outside professionals.

 The proof of its success will be in how we put it into
 play and how our public responds to its various
 applications.

 Anyone is entitled to say they don't like the logo, the
 slogan, the television ads, or the billboards.

 I don't believe, however, that    any    criticism of
 the    staff    involved in creating and executing it
 is either warranted or appropriate.

In the months ahead, there will be many other changes--
 a new look to the Library web page, a new book
 security system, a new integrated library system, new
 physical arrangements as we prepare for additional
 renovation and to address additional strategic goals.

 I encourage a thoughtful process of sharing ideas and
 improvements that will benefit the Library.

 Please, in dispatching the important opportunities to
 participate in influencing and impacting the Library's
 future, be thoughtful of what you say, of how you say
 it, and to whom you say it.

 Be respectful of the hard work done by others, of
 their skills and their experience, and of their desire
 to do the best job.

 We want everyone's work to reflect positively on all
 of us.

 Let's all pull together.

BAM/eh
[ Bernard A. Margolis, President/
  Eulene Harris, Executive Assistant ]
[ bmargolis@bpl.org ]

Boston Public Library
BPL
[ logo http://www.bpl.org/newindex.html ]

Copley Square
700 Boylston Street  Boston Massachusetts 02116
T 617.536.5400
http://www.bpl.org

April 11, 2001

The Library is in receipt of a copy of your request
 "Observations of President Margolis"
 received via email to William Grealish [Curator of
 the Humanities Department Reference Desk]
 on April 9, 2001 and forwarded to me for response.

 Enclosed is a copy of the item as requested.

Sincerely yours,
Ruth E. Kowal
Director of Operations
[ rkowal@bpl.org ]

cc: Stacey Bloom, Assistant Corporation Counsel,
    City of Boston
    [ mayor@ci.boston.ma.us ]

Books are just the beginning.