Re: Baker

The aim should be to facilitate maximum access to the content of old
newspapers.  This means getting them into a digital format where they can be
word searched.  A scanner, a good OCR program, time, money and skill are
required as well as a large digital memory- coming soon, to a computer near
you.  See this May's Popular Science, page 35, "DVD's Successor."

Scanning microfilm seems a step back from what will give the best results.

Newspapers allow higher resolution copying and, for those of us who believe
that as much is disclosed about our culture through purple as by  black and
white prose, the design, illustration and historical context of advertising
is better accessed from the original source.

An even greater loss is in the filming of magazines.  I've had to assemble
my own file of radio, recording and electronic periodicals since I use the
illustrations in talks and, now, on my web site, www.soundsaver.com.  Here
is a case where the quality difference is so great that I consider films of
them unusable.

Steve Smolian