Re: Baker

Heather wrote: "I didn't need to be cognizant of this history, however, to know that microfilm is an awful medium to use and that we should avoid knee-jerk decisions to microfilm. "

Yes we should avoid all-knee jerk reactions to image any and everything whether the medium to be used is microfilm, video or electronic. To use a troutfishing analogy "match the hatch!"

But to get back to your comment above. Heather would you please provide this list with an explanation as to why microfilm is such an awful medium.

Granted I have not read Mr. Baker's book, but based upon the various reviews, interviews and reports that I have found his anger is primarily directed at misguided individuals who did not properly set up their microfilming projects.

In many cases microfilm is still a very viable medium. What one must do is conduct a needs assessment to determine what imaging medium is best for the project or process at hand. I know of too many imaging projects (microform and electronic) that are failures because the assessment and analysis needed were not done.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc
Midlothian, Virginia