Correcting a dissertation? Keeping Variant editions

Dear Steve et al:

Luckily, the only dissertations I've got to deal with
are the University Microfilm versions we purchase or
the occasional copy received as a gift from the
author.

However, I routinely keep the first and any corrected
versions of MPM original publications.  Besides the
occasional renaming of Public Museum as Pubic Museum,
one of our better goofs appeared in an annual report
about a decade ago.  Milwaukee County Exec Dave
Schultz was quoted in the text as saying that the
1990's would be the decade of the Museum.  However, in
the boxed excerpt in the margin the quote read "the
1890's would be the decade of the museum."

I wonder if my successors will get the joke because
MPM went through some horrendous times in the early
1990's and we all felt designer/typesetter probably
had the better take on things than C.E.Dave.

I'd keep all the variants of my own institution's
publications, but would exercise caution on keeping
those issued by other organizations.  If I were
keeping both an original and a corrected edition, I'd
make sure a note was inserted in the uncorrected
edition directing users to the corrected version.
Perpetuating errors in science isn't good practice.

Judy Turner
Director, Library and Archives
Milwaukee Public Museum