Re: Baker and binderies

Dear Mr. Marks --  I'm not talking about modern
binderies or bindery practices.  Today, thanks to the
extraordinarily good LBI standard which we require any
binder adhere to as part of our specifications for
this service, nothing is removed unless specifically
requested.

I'm talking about the service we received between 1880
and the late 60's.  As best I can figure from the
slips that occasionally appear in these old items, one
had to specify not to remove covers and ads.

I'd name names if I thought a) it would help (but the
binderies were local and have been out of business for
years) and b) determine whether the fault was my
predecessors being being too passive or due to another
cause.  Removing the covers does reduce the bulk.  On
the other hand it makes it much more difficult for us
to determine if all the issues are present, and, as I
mentioned in my earlier post, the practice
ocassionally eliminated content as well as ads that
would appear inside the back cover.

Judy Turner
Director, Library and Archives
Milwauke