gopher://gopher.cuis.edu/77:nosort:gopher_root:[000000]_search.shell gopher_root:[searchidx]stumpers-l*

Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:42:21 +0300
From: Art Corey <acorey@ksaits.com>
To:   Denise_Montgomery <dmontgom@valdosta.edu>
Cc:   stumpers-l@cuis.edu
Subj: Re: Deficiencies. Boston Public Library Reference Inquiries

If you will permit the comments of a non-librarian but interested auditor on
this list.

Respectfully, ladies and gentlemen, it's only a matter of tone of voice.
Instead of just saying what is not acceptable, why not explain to the patrons
why one form of question is not workable and what other form would be better.
Here's your chance to educate the patrons as well as assist them in finding
information.

My wife and I were in Wales on vacation last October, and went into a large
modern drug store in a mall in Cardiff. There were many cash register stations
scattered throughout the store. I noticed one station where there were no
clerks present. In America, there would be a sign saying simply "This Register
Closed". In Cardiff, the sign read something like "We're sorry. This register
is not currently in use but a sales person nearby will be happy to serve you."
Same meaning, but a much nicer tone of voice.

The immediate effect is whether or not today's question gets answered, but the
more important, the more telling effect is whether that patron will feel
comfortable bringing another question to a reference librarian in future.
Turning off readers, thinkers, or questioners is destruction that most of you
would like to avoid I'm sure.

What you people (Reference Librarians) don't seem to realize is the awe the
general public has about you. On some level, either conscious or subconscious,
we are all aware of the vast and growing ocean of information out there and
the difficulty of finding just that one specific fact. Either I don't know
where to start looking, or, I've exhausted all my own ideas and am stumped.
But my Reference Librarian knows how to find specific stuff in all that mess
out there. How cool are you guys?

Very Respectfully,
Art Corey, Patron-at-Large