U-taw too!

Being Friday and all, how could I resist this?  There are any
number of Utah-isms, and names in Utah could be a study in
themselves; for instance, my wife's sewing companion is named
L'April.  LaDonna, LaVonda, LaJean, Alma (the latter a man's
name) are common.  In fact I remember reading the obits one day
and seeing that Alma Nephi Jensen, the tater-tot king, had died;
and thinking "He weren't no Presbyterian!"

Anyway, a few from Behind the Zion Curtain:

RILL or RILLY.  As in "That dress is rilly pretty, LaVonda!" or
"L'April works in rill estate."

SILL. sale.  As in "There's a sill on dresses down'ta ZCMI!" or
"LaDonna has her house up f'r'sill!"

DOWN'TA  .  See above.  Less frequently UP'TA.  As in "LaWanda
is goin' down'ta the Y [Brigham Young University, or BYU] f'r
college."

HAM-b'grr.  A sandwich.  Even my kids pronounce it this way.

F'R'HECKSAKES!  an ejaculation

F'R'IGNERNT!.   as in "F'r'ignernt, Alma!  You're bein' rilly rude!"

So you could hear a sentence such as:

"F'r'hecksakes, LaVanna, let's go up'ta Salt Lake and go to the rilly
good sill at ZCMI!"

Except that ZCMI, once the country's oldest department store, was
recently taken over by Meier and Frank, which my oldest daughter
swears is a hot dog company.

All in fun,

Roy

Roy Webb, C.A.