"c" under signed name

Hi all -

I'm hoping someone out there in Archivesland will have an answer for me.
I'm going through some correspondence written by a former president and
found that around 1893 he started writing a small "c" underneath his
signature.  We first thought this might mean "copy", but I'm not real
confident in that.  I've found this in typed and handwritten letters.  Any
ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Dina