Ethics in Archives

Would some of you out there be willing to share with me your repositories'
position on medical records, records dealing with crimes in which the
victim's statements are included (specifically from a Governor's
collection), and records created by lawyers?

According to the right to privacy, people who have died do not have a right
to privacy.  Ethically, however, I am wondering how different archives deal
with these types of sensitive records.  Is it enough to seal collections
until the people are dead?  Or should confidential records always be kept
confidential?  Should we be concerned about the families of the people
documented in these records?  Is it worthwhile to have hundreds feet of
records that are confidential taking up valuable space?

Any ideas, thoughts or *policies* would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Val

Valerie Nye
Senior Archivist