Re: Ethics in Archives

As a genealogist, I have attempted many times to
gather medical records of deceased relatives.  Every
medical record repository I have contacted has adhered
to the U.S. Census' 72 year rule, not releasing the
records until 72 years after they were made...with the
added proviso that I must prove the person is
deceased.

The above policy does not apply to parents or self,
however.  Each repository seems to have its own rules
about such things.

The funny part of this is that the most problems I
have encountered in obtaining medical records have
been when I attempt to gain access to MY OWN records.

Russell D. James
History Graduate Student and Archivist-in-Training
University of West Florida
Pensacola, Florida, USA
Solanus27@yahoo.com
neri@iwon.com