Collaboration question

Please advise:  Has anyone on the list had the experience of proposed or
actual collaborative co-housing of museums, historical societies, and
research center/archives? The historical society for which I work already
has a mortgage-free home for our research center, archives, programs,
membership and bookstore (we are not a museum).  What is being proposed by
another organization in our community is that several museums and our
organization come together under one roof.  A local foundation has hired a
consultant who specializes in assessing potential collaborations to meet
with representatives of the museums and our historical society. This will
be a single meeting, before which he will have already judged the
worthiness of the project. What I am looking for is any anecdotal
information from people who have been through the consolidation of
already-established--similar in subject yet very different in
mission--organizations, whether in your personal or professional life.

Thank you very much in advance,

Matina Kilkenny
Research and Collections Manager