web selection/deselection policy

Some weeks ago I had posted a query about web content selection/deselection
policies.  A number of folks asked to be kept informed of our progress in
developing a city policy.  At this point it looks like the city will set
some guidelines it expects all departments to follow, then allow each
department to establish more restrictive standards if it so chooses.  For
example, the Assessors Office wants to post name and address along with
assessment information; I do not want to post the checklist (name and
address).

As an alternative, we are also exploring the possibility of two-tier
information accessibility.  For example, we estimate that 70% - 80% of the
hits on the Assessor's property site is commercially-driven.  The complaints
about "privacy invasion" are coming from a small number of the remaining 20%
- 30%. Giving the public the option to opt-out of the property lists does
not seem to be a viable option.  Therefore, we are reviewing the possibility
of posting assessment information by address only (no names) for the general
public's access, then creating a parallel site which will contain names,
property cards, photos, etc. that could be accessed by the commercial
interests for a fee ($2.00 or less per hit, by credit card).  If feasible,
this approach might alleviate some of the voiced privacy concerns (for
posting free "personally-identifying information") while still relieving
commercial interests from having to come to the office to purchase a copy of
a property card.  We'll have to wait and see how this one plays out...

In the meantime, here's "Draft #1" of our web selection policy.  I would
certainly welcome comment and suggestions from the list membership before
sending it "upstairs" for the next round of discussion.  Thank you!

WEB SELECTION POLICY

CITY CLERK'S OFFICE

The City Clerk's Office is responsible for the recording and management of
all vital records involving births, marriages, and deaths occurring within
the City. The Office also conducts all local, state and national elections;
issues many types of licenses including dog licenses, hawkers and peddlers
licenses, raffle permits, and entertainment licenses; and maintains many of
the City's most important records. Internally, the Office of the City Clerk
views itself as an information source and communication conduit between the
general public and City Government.

Selection of Materials
The City Clerk is responsible for the selection of content for use in the
department's web pages.  The City Clerk's web content is intended to provide
residents with office information and forms that might otherwise need to be
obtained through phone calls, mail, or in-person visits to City Hall.
Hyperlinks embedded in documents conform to the City's Hyperlink Policy.
All content is weighed in its entirety for what it brings to the department
website.

Material shall be considered on the basis of overall purpose, factual
accuracy, authoritativeness, reliability, timelessness or permanence,
importance of the subject matter, readability, format, and consistency with
municipal policies.

In addition, all material selected should meet at least one of the following
criteria, and preferably more:
        *       Improved public convenience.
        *       Minimal demand on manpower.
        *       Minimal site maintenance.
        *       Long shelf-life of content.
        *       The popularity of the content as demonstrated by public
requests, whether over a short or long time span.
        *       The fair representation of the varied responsibilities,
activities, or functions of the City Clerk's Office.
        *       The quality or uniqueness of content in comparison with
other materials available on the internet.
        *       Minimal or reasonable costs (for example, licensing fees).
        *       Support for programs which the City Clerk's Office endorses
or promotes (for example, Kids Voting).
        *       Support of activities or programs of the professional
associations in which the City Clerk's Office may hold membership (for
example, the NH City and Town Clerks Association or the Society of American
Archivists).
        *       Support for the history and heritage of Nashua.

Residents may submit a written request for additions or deletions to the
City Clerk's website.  Requests must include a brief description of the
material; how it would be used (or why it should be removed); and the name
and address of the person making the request.

By law, some of the records in the custody of the City Clerk are
confidential.  Excepting contact information, the City Clerk's Office will
not post, on its department web pages, any combination of
personally-identifying data that could be used to identify a current, living
resident of Nashua such as: name, address, zip code, gender, e-mail address,
phone number, social security number, or date of birth.  It is important to
understand, however, that under applicable state and federal law, various
forms of correspondence, communications, and records are subject to public
disclosure and certain information that is not made available on the
internet must be disclosed upon a formal request made to this office.

School Curriculum Requests
The City Clerk's Office recognizes that it may have records of historical
value that can be useful in school assignments; we also recognize that the
primary responsibility to meet school curriculum needs rests with each
school.  The City Clerk's Office is available to discuss with Nashua
teachers the feasibility of scanning and posting selected documents to its
website so these records may be accessed for learning activities.  The
activities will require the support or approval of school department heads
or administrators and the City Clerk.

De-selection
Maintenance of an up-to-date, attractive, and currently useful website is
essential to the efficiency of the City Clerk's Office.  "Weeding" is
defined as a constant discarding, with replacement as needed, of outdated or
no-longer useful material.  The City Clerk's Office will weed out content
that it feels is outdated, inaccurate, superfluous, no-longer useful, or
that no longer meets the criteria under which it was initially selected.

DRAFT: 5-4-01
Nashua, NH

Paul R. Bergeron
City Clerk