   [inside_track.gif]

   Judge's view supremely ironic
   by Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa

   Sunday, May 6, 2001

   Now really, did you think we were going to let
    Supreme Judicial Court cheese
    Margaret H. Marshall's ever-so-sanctimonious column
    in the Boring Broadsheet the other day pass without
    comment?

   Marshall went on and on about her support for a free
    press, but somehow we doubt her sincerity.

    Because if Marshall really meant half of what she
    said, wouldn't the chief justice call for a change
    in the public records law, which currently exempts
    the judiciary???

   The way it works now, the press is unable to get its
    mitts on information about who the judges hire, how
    much they're paid, what lavish meals and travel
    judicial employees are billing to the taxpayers,
    etc.

   Opening up those records would really, as Margaret
    said,
    ``celebrate that we have a free press in our
      society.''

   Which is, of course, a press-ing concern.

[ more... ]

   Drop dimes at
   trackgals@aol.com.
http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/inside_track/track05062001.htm