"Archival" plans - a question

Directed to other State folks out there, but also to anyone who deals with
mylar plans.  We are researching a conflict between what engineers create on
modern computer systems, and what Maine's sixteen independently operating
Registries of Deeds will accept for filing.  The Registers (as they call
themselves; they are NOT "registrars") of Deeds operate under a statute that
you can read in its entirety at
http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/33/title33sec652.html.  The section
that's causing the problem, though, is:

        No plan may be accepted for recording unless all of the following
criteria
are met. The plan must: [1991, c. 497, §1 (rpr).]

                1. Materials. Be drawn upon strong linen cloth or polyester
film with
        archival photographic image

State Archivist Jim Henderson has asked me to research "what other states
are doing about this."  I'm off to surf everyone else's web sites, of
course; but I'd welcome e-mails on other states' experiences with this
technology transition.  We may have to write the new language, and if so
we'll have to satisfy both the Registers and their customers!

Private replies are fine.  If you do send to the list, though, PLEASE make
sure you cc me because I'll be going on vacation soon and I don't want to
miss hearing what you have to say.

Nina M. Osier, Director
Division of Records Management Services
Maine State Archives