Re: RAIN 5/10: Burst Pipe Inundates NASA Photo Archives

Oh lordy.  Did you notice the final sentence of the article?

"The agency is studying the possibility of digitizing the collection and
eliminating the paper altogether"
Once again, some genius drops a line like that under the assumption that
digitization will solve the entire problem.  Considering that I believe
(somebody correct me if I'm wrong) the average DPI on a printed photograph
is considerably higher than can be cost effectively digitized, electonic
copies will undoubtedly lose some of the quality of the originals.  Add to
that all the issues discussed in the Digitization article by Stuart Lee
(RAIN of a few days ago) and this kind of thing is just asking for trouble.
Sheesh.
DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu