Re: Reasons to use gloves

Erin Foley wrote:

> I have an ongoing problem convincing people to use gloves in my archives.

Erin would not be able to convince me either. Gloves interfere with dexterity and thus increase the
chance of tearing a page through clumsiness. The only time I ever wear a glove is when I'm
cataloging a vellum-bound volume. Then I cradle the spine of the book in my gloved right hand and
turn the pages with my ungloved left hand. Vellum is more susceptible than other leathers to body
oils, so I respect that.

Cheers!

Eric v.d. Luft, Ph.D., M.L.S.
Curator of Historical Collections, Health Sciences Library
SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210
<http://web.upstate.edu/lufte/> -- 315-464-4585
Listowner: ALHHS-L <http://web.upstate.edu/lufte/alhhs-l.html>
For e-mail pertaining to libraries, librarianship, or the history of
 medicine, please use <lufte@mail.upstate.edu> not <lufte@upstate.edu>
For all other e-mail, please use <gegensatz@alumni.bowdoin.edu>

"Be always sure you're right, then go ahead."
                                          -- Davy Crockett
                                [Autobiography, 1834, title page]