Re: Water damage

I can attest to this type of water damage because it happened to me when I ran a local government records center a decade ago.

This led me to think about the whole issue of ceiling tiles.  I did not see the need for a suspended ceiling in the records storage area but it was put in anyway.  What the suspended ceiling did was tend to hide a leak until the tile got too heavy and collapsed under the weight.  Without that tile, I would have probably detected the leak much sooner, though I got good at detecting bulging ceiling tiles.  Sometimes that worked but sometimes it happened too quickly and over a weekend or something like that.  I ended up putting plastic over everything because the ductwork was constantly springing new leaks.  Fortunately, a few years later, the whole operation was moved to a much drier site.

>>> Paul A Oelkrug <oelkrug@LIBRARY.UTA.EDU> 05/10/01 12:40 PM >>>
Hello list,

With all the discussion about water damage from broken water
pipes, it occured to me that there is another potential source for
water damage.

Along with all the pipes running in the ceiling, there is also a maze
of duct work.  If the insulation covering the duct is damaged or
removed for some reason,  moisture will condense upon the metal
surface.  This condensation will then begin to drip down on ceiling
tiles and begin to saturate the tile to the point that, when heavy
enough with water, will collapse and dump soaked tile pieces and
water onto whatever is below.

Sometimes, ducts are internally insulated.  In this case, it is wise
to inspect them to see if condensation is forming.

Just one more thing to worry about
Paul A Oelkrug
University of Texas-Arlington
Special Collections
817-272-7580
oelkrug@library.uta.edu

A posting from the Archives & Archiists LISTSERV List!