Re: Reasons to use gloves

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Erin Foley wrote:

> I have an ongoing problem convincing people to use gloves in my archives.
> Not the genealogists--they are only too happy to do whatever they need to
> have access to materials about their relatives.  My problem is with two
> important individuals, one a curator of a prints collection, the other a
> museum director, who have refused to wear gloves.

Seems to me the real issue here isn't why gloves should or shouldn't be
worn.

The real issue here is: how far are you (and your superiors) willing to go
to enforce a policy. If these "important" people cause a fuss with your
bosses, are they going to back you up or are they going to cave in and
make you come out looking like the bad guy.  If your bosses don't have
backbone in situations like this, all the professional justifications
are worthless.

Given all that, just how important it is, really, that gloves be worn?

If I were in your position I would revisit this policy.

Carole Prietto, University Archivist     phone:  (314) 935-9730
Washington University in St. Louis       fax:  (314) 935-8320
Box 1061, One Brookings Drive            prietto@library.wustl.edu
St. Louis, Missouri 63130