location of material re American passports

Hello all,
This is on behalf of my son who is at the University of Illinois,
Champagne/Urbana.  He is attempting to locate material for his PhD on the
passport a history/communications degree, and is coming up against a number
of frustrations.
He writes: the passport office [Washington, I think]
> apparently still has all its subject files ie they are not in National
> Archives where they belong. And because they are in the possession of the
> State Department, they are not in the public domain. Therefore I can only
> access them through the Freedom of Information Act. But the FOIA is not
> set up to turn records into archives ie its set up for you to apply for a
> specific set of documents which are then copied and sent to you. So the
> Act is simply not set up to allow physical access to over a 100 years of
> documents. But as the only option open to me I have applied under the
FOIA
> and will await and see. But a standard request can take up to a year .

Since then he writes saying that he has located some material at a state
archives.
He would appreciate any assistance from those of you in the State sector who
may give him some further assistance in this area or know of other avenues
that he may be able to get access.

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated.
Please contact him at:   cmrobert@students.uiuc.edu

Yvonne Wilkie
Archivist
Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa NZ Archives,
Knox College
Arden Street
Dunedin, New Zealand
ph: (03) 473 0107 ex 7851/7857